Horizon Europe: Commission creates new Executive Agencies
12. Mar 2021
With the Implementing Decision of 12 February 2021 the European Commission has created six new European Executive Agencies. Their tasks are amongst others the administrative implementation of Horizon Europe.
The new agencies are:
- European Climate, Infrastructure and Environment Executive Agency (CINEA, former INEA): Administration of Cluster 5 (Climate, Energy and Mobility) of Pillar II.
- European Research Executive Agency (EREA, former REA): Administration of: Pillar I: Marie-Skłodowska-Curie-Actions; Research Infrastructures; Pillar II: Cluster 2 (Culture, creative and inclusive society); Cluster 3 (Civil security for society); Cluster 6 (Food, bioeconomy, natural resources, agriculture and environment); Horizon Europe Horizontal Programme: Spreading excellence and widening participation; Reforming and enhancing the European Reseach & Innovation System.
- European Innovation Council and SMEs Executive Agency (EISMEA, former EASME): Administration of the European Innovation Council and the European Innovation Ecosystems (Pillar III)
- European Education and Culture Executive Agency (EACEA): Erasmus Programme and Creative Europe Programme.
- European Research Council Executive Agency (ERCEA): European Research Council.
These five agencies are established from 1 April 2021 until 31 December 2028.
The newly created European Health and Digital Executive Agency (EHDEA) will be in charge of Cluster 1 (Health) and Cluster 4 (Digital, Industry and Space). Further areas are amongst others the public health programme EU4Health, the Digital Europe Programme and the Connecting Europe Facility. The EHDEA is established from 16 February until 31 December 2028.
Part of the EREA's portfolio is amongst others the implementation of the Research Programme for Coal and Steel. Moreover, the European Research Executive Agency shall be responsible for general administrative and logistical support services, in particular the Central Validation Service (SEDIA), the call planning for all programmes and services participating in eGrants and the expert management.
The administration of projects and support measures from FP7 and Horizon 2020 will be continued by the new agencies.