European Innovation Council (EIC): European Commission announces next steps
20. Mar 2019
The European Commission has announced to take further steps towards the introduction of the European Innovation Council (EIC). From 2021 the EIC will be established as a pillar of the next EU Framework Programme for Research and Innovation Horizon Europe. Currently, an EIC pilot phase is running.
The measures comprise i.a.:
- An updated version of the EIC Pilot Work Programme 2018-2020 has been published in the Funding & Tenders Portal.
- Parts of the Future and Emerging Technologies (FET) programme will be implemented under the new EIC Pathfinder in 2019-2020. As the first topic under the EIC Pathfinder, the topic FETPROACT-EIC-05-2019: FET Proactive: emerging paradigms and communities was opened on 19 March 2019 (Deadline: 3 September 2019).
- The first topics under the new EIC Accelerator will open in June 2019. The EIC Accelerator will provide opportunities for SMEs and startups. Compared to the current SME Instrument, it will include an option to access blended financing (i.e. grants and equity).
- The European Commission will establish an EIC Advisory Board which will monitor the current pilot phase and support the preparation of the future EIC. On 18 March 2019, a call for applications for the selection of 15 to 20 experts was opened (Deadline: 10 May 2019).
- Moreover, the European Commission has announced that it will recruit “programme managers” which will provide support to the projects funded under the EIC.
European Commission: Press release