Horizon 2020: European Green Deal Call
18. Sep 2020
On 17 September the European Commission has launched a call for proposals within Horizon 2020 on topics based on the European Green Deal. This call will provide EUR 1 billion for research and innovation projects in eight thematic areas which are the key work streams of the European Green Deal:
- Increasing climate ambition
- Clean, affordable and secure energy
- Industry for a clean and circular economy
- Energy and resource efficient buildings
- Sustainable and smart mobility
- Farm to fork
- Biodiversity and ecosystems
- Zero-pollution, toxic-free environments
In addition, project proposals can be submitted within two horizontal areas which have a more long-term perspective:
- Strengthening our knowledge in support of the European Green Deal
- Empowering citizens for the transition towards a climate neutral, sustainable Europe
The Commissin explicitely points out that this call for proposals differs from previous calls in Horizon 2020. As the topics concerned are perceived as urgent challenges and as the call is expected to contribute to support Europe's recovery from the coronavirus crisis "it aims for clear, discernible results in the short to medium-term, but with a perspective of long-term change. There are fewer, but more targeted, larger and visible actions, with a focus on rapid scalability, dissemination and uptake."
The Call will formally open on 22 September with a deadline on 26. January 2021. Registration and submission of proposals will be possible via the Funding and Tenders Portal. Funded projects are expected to start in autumn 2021.
A Horizon 2020 Green Deal Call Info Day & Brokerage event will be organised as part of the virtual European Research and Innovation Days that will take place from 22-24 September 2020.
>> Work programme Green Deal Call