Climate Action, Environment, Resource Efficiency and Raw Materials
The focus of this Societal Challenge lies on the support of a more resource efficient European economy and society. The growing world population requires
- a more sustainable use of natural resources, raw materials and eco-systems and
- the development of adaptation strategies for climate change
A long term goal of the European approach is the decoupling of economic growth from the use of resources.
A budget of EUR 2,96 billion is reserved for this Societal Challenge for the whole duration of Horizon 2020.
The "Specific Programme" of Societal Challenge 5 defines the following research priorities by 2020:
- Fighting and adapting to climate change
- Protecting the environment, sustainably managing natural resources, water, biodiversity and ecosystems
- Sustainable supply of non-energy and non-agricultural raw materials
- Eco-innovation for a transition towards a green economy
- Developing global environmental observation & information systems
- Cultural heritage
- Specific implementation aspects
Concrete topics are defined in bi-annual work programmes according to the research priorities of the Specific Programme.