Being supposed to support tackling societal challenges like climate change and aging population the "Information and Communication Technologies" (ICT) programme is closely linked to Horizon 2020's Part III "Societal Challenges". ICT topics will be an inherent part of almost every Societal Challenge, e.g. with the following themes:
- Health, demographic change and wellbeing: e-health, self management of health, improved diagnostics, improved surveillance, health data collection, active ageing, assisted living
- Secure, clean and efficient energy: Smart cities; Energy efficient buildings; smart electricity grids; smart metering
- Smart, green and integrated transport: Smart transport equipment, infrastructures and services; innovative transport management systems; safety aspects
- Climate action, resource efficiency and raw materials: ICT for increased resource efficiency; earth observation and monitoring
- Inclusive, innovative and reflective societies: Digital inclusion; social innovation platforms; e-government services; e-skills and e-learning; e-culture
- Secure Societies: Cyber security; ensuring privacy and protection of human rights on-line
Supporting visionary and high-risk projects related to ICT is in the focus of Future and Emerging Technologies (FET) Programme for new and future technologies in Part I "Excellent Science". High-risk, visionary and interdisciplinary projects aiming the development of future technologies and being bottom-up (FET Open) as well as top-down (FET Proactive) oriented will be funded.
Furthermore, the creation and development as well as the access to European research infrastructure, especially to eInfrastructures, will be funded in Part I "Excellent Science".