Future and Emerging Technologies 2018-2020
On 27 October 2017 the European Commission has published the Work Programme 2018-2020 containing new calls for proposals in the programme section Future and Emerging Technologies (FET). The overall budget for the 2018 call is EUR 434 million. For the calls in 2019 there will be EUR 535 million available. The indicative budget for the calls in 2020 is EUR 567 million.
The FET Work Programme comprises three different lines of action: FET Open, FET Proactive, and FET Flagships. The aim is to support fundamentally new research approaches and areas in the field of new technologies with high industrial and societal potential thus creating the ground for Europe’s future leadership.
Calls for proposals
The Work Programme comprises the following calls for proposals:
- FET Open – Novel ideas for radically new technologies
- FET Proactive – Boosting emerging technologies
- FET Proactive – High Performance Computing
- FET Flagships – Tackling grand interdisciplinary science and technology challenges
Rules for submission: The research priorities are composed of "topics", which are outlined in detail in the Work Programme and must be integrated into the research proposals. The first topics will officially be open for submission in the Participant Portal on 31 October 2017.
Submission procedure: The FET Work Programme included topics with a single as well as a two stage submission procedures with either deadlines or so-called “cut-off dates”.
Overview of most important aspects for 2018:
- FET Open: single stage submission procedure, proposals for Research and Innovation Actions (RIA) may be submitted any time starting from 7 November 2017 and will be evaluated after four different cut-off dates until 2020. First cut-off date: 16 May 2018
- FET Proactive: single stage submission procedure, deadlines for RIA as well as Coordination and Support Actions (CSA) will be 22 March 2018 and 15 May 2018 (High Performance Computing)
- FET Flagships: single as well as two stage submission procedures, deadlines for FETFLAG-01-2018: Preparatory Actions for new FET Flagships (CSA): 20 February 2018 (first stage) and 18 September 2018 (second stage)